Under close supervision, the Grounds Maintenance Specialist I will maintain the airport campus grounds by performing gardening and landscaping duties, ensuring that the airport grounds remain safe, clean, and aesthetically pleasing.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversee grounds, roadway/airfield maintenance following and ensuring compliance with FAA Part 139 and by Airport Rules and Regulations; policies and standards of quality in designated timeframes.
- Perform basic irrigation duties, such as changing sprinkler heads and leak repairs.
- Inspect grounds, roadways, and maintenance equipment for maintenance and repair work.
- Perform horticultural maintenance tasks, including installing and caring for permanent and seasonal landscape material, sowing and cutting grass, removing weeds, trimming trees and shrubbery, applying fertilizers and herbicides, etc.
- Perform parking lot/roadway maintenance, including pavement sweeping, removal of debris/trash, and repair of holes or cracks in the sidewalk, etc.
- Mow the inside and outside boundaries of the airfield perimeter to keep the fencing around the perimeter free of defects and clear of weeds and trees.
- Respond to and complete work orders in a timely manner.
- Plow, sweep, and blow snow off of all runways, taxiways, and apron areas during adverse weather conditions.
- Operate a variety of machinery such as a pick-up truck, backhoe, dump truck, large farm tractor, bulldozer, bush-hog mower, box-blade, snowplow, broom truck, edger, weed-eater, chainsaws, lawnmower, cherry picker/ bucket truck, etc.
- Drive vehicles and equipment to a variety of work sites, ensuring safety protocols are followed.
- Operates two-way radio in coordinating activities with the airport control tower.
- Communicate with internal and external stakeholders to develop and maintain good working relationships.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Required Skills and Experience
• Ability to work well under pressure
• Time management; able to meet deadlines
• Adaptable to change
• Comfortable with the usage of technology
• High School Diploma or equivalent
• Valid South Carolina Driver’s License
• Available for 24-hour call back in adverse weather condition and emergencies
• Able to successfully complete a TSA/Security Background check
• Possess or obtain forklift operator license within 2 years of hire
• Complete courses in Turf Maintenance and Basic Irrigation within 2 years of hire
• Fluent in English, with the ability to speak, read and write.
• One or more years of experience in grounds maintenance and/or irrigation.
• One or more years of experience operating heavy equipment, such as tractors, backhoes, and dump trucks
This position is classified as “heavy” to “very heavy” work in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act. Must be physically able to operate a variety of equipment and machinery including various trucks, and hand tools, etc. Must be physically able to exert of an excess of thirty pounds of force occasionally and up to ten pounds frequently lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects. Physical demand more than sedentary work; must be able to walk and stand for periods, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, balance, push, pull and reach. Must be able to lift and carry the weight of up to one hundred pounds.
West Columbia, South Carolina, United States
Up to $19/hr